What is Psoriasis?
It is a common, long-term disease. Psoriasis is a chronic, Autoimmune, dry, inflammatory skin disease characterized by variously sized, red, defined margins, silvery white scales. Psoriasis is a non-contagious skin condition.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition. In the case of psoriasis, white blood cells known as T cells mistakenly attack the skin cells. The skin cells grow too quickly, which causes thick, white, silvery, or red patches of skin.
The patches vary in severity from small to large, which can cover complete body. It commonly affects the skin of the elbows, knees, scalp, hands, feet, or lower back. Psoriasis is mostly common in adults, but children can get it too. Here today we will let you know all about psoriasis causes, symptoms and homeopathic treatment for psoriasis.
What causes Psoriasis?
Psoriasis occurs due to overreaction of the immune system, causing inflammation and flaking of skin. Psoriasis has a strong hereditary component and show family history. The triggers of the psoriasis includes –
- Cold and dry climate,
- Psoriasis may run in families.
- High stress levels may increase the risk of psoriasis.
- Dry skin can trigger psoriasis
- Skin lesions, such as a cut, insect bite, or a severe sunburn
- Excessive alcohol consumption, smoking can trigger psoriasis
- UV rays and
- Certain medicines.
What are the symptoms of Psoriasis?
Psoriasis symptoms differ from person to person and depend on the type of psoriasis. The most common symptoms of psoriasis include:
- Raised, inflamed patches of skin which appear red or brown.
- Whitish-silver scales or gray scales or plaques on the red patches.
- Dry skin that may crack and bleed
- Soreness around patches
- Itching and burning sensations around patches
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Joints become swollen, tender, and painful, which is known as psoriatic arthritis.
What are the types of Psoriasis?
There are mainly following types of psoriasis-
- Plaque psoriasis– it is the most common type of psoriasis which is also known as psoriasis vulgaris. It is characterized by Circular or oval shaped red patches with white scales. It affects the back of the forearms, shins, around the belly button, and the scalp.
- Guttate psoriasis –It has drop shaped lesions. It affects large areas of the body mainly the trunk, limbs and scalp.
- Pustular psoriasis It has small raised, non-infectious, pus filled blisters on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.
- Inverse psoriasis, also known as flexural psoriasis characterized by smooth inflamed bright red, shiny patches forms in skin folds particularly around the genitals, armpits, under the breast.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis- In this type skin rashes are big and the entire skin surface. It causes fiery redness of the skin and shedding of scales in sheets. It’s triggered by severe sunburn, infections, certain medications. It can develop from any of the other type
- Nail psoriasis. Psoriasis can also affect the fingernails and toenails causes pitting, discoloration, and separation of the nails.
- Scalp psoriasis characterized by red, white, dry plaques with greasy scales which can cause hair loss and severe itching.
- Psoriatic arthritis. Psoriatic arthritis causes swollen, painful joints that are typical of arthritis. Sometimes the joint symptoms are the first symptom of psoriasis. Psoriatic arthritis can affect any joint. It typically affects joints in the fingers or toes, lower back, wrists, knees, or ankles. It may cause progressive joint damage which may lead to permanent joint damage. You can connect with us for psoriatic arthritis homeopathic treatment.
What are the complications of psoriasis?
If Psoriasis will not be managed it may develop other diseases, like:
- Psoriatic arthritis, which causes pain, stiffness and swelling in and around the joints
- Eye conditions, such as conjunctivitis, blepharitis and uveitis
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- Other autoimmune diseases, such as celiac disease, sclerosis and the inflammatory bowel disease called Crohn’s disease
How to care the psoriasis skin?
Psoriasis is never cured permanently it can be managed. Skin care at home can help to control the psoriasis by following tips-
- keep the skin moisturized with the help of creams, coconut or olive oil.
- Bathing daily helps remove scales and calm inflamed skin. Use lukewarm water and mild soaps.
- Stress can trigger psoriasis. So always remain happy and reduce your stress with meditation and yoga.
- Infections such as throat infection can cause psoriasis to appear suddenly so treat it immediately.
- Reduced sun exposure can reduce psoriasis; sunburns can trigger flares of psoriasis.
- Increased consumption of alcohol and smoking can worse psoriasis symptoms.
- Wear a comfortable clothing so it doesn’t rub the psoriasis.
- eating a healthy diet. Losing weight and maintaining a healthy diet can reduce symptoms of psoriasis. This includes eating a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, whole grains, and plants. Patient should avoid red meat, refined sugars, dairy products, and processed foods because these type of foods may increase inflammation.
- Patient may try natural remedies for psoriasis which may reduce itching like turmeric, aloe vera, apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil.
Can Homeopathic Treatment for Psoriasis is helpful?
Homeopathy can manage a psoriatic case completely. In homoeopathy we treat the person as a whole and try to find a constitutional remedy. Other pathies believe that skin disorders are a local disease. So, they always treat the local affection by using the local or systemic applicants. As a result, a momentarily relief occurs, but in long run relapses and recurrences are observed. These relapses increase the duration of the disease. Homeopathic remedies not only remove the complaint but also the tendency of the complaint to recur. Homoeopathy is the best therapy for all type of skin diseases, because homoeopathy treats disease from the root level. It treats the patient with the Holistic approach. It gives no side effects, to achieve the normal skin. Psoriasis requires a complete case taking of the patient. It requires a deep constitutional analysis. In the process of case taking, we consider on the history of the disease, the family medical history, physical and mental symptoms of the patient. After that we evaluate the totality of symptoms and find out the cause of the disease, and then treat it by well selected medicine. Overall, we have good results in the homeopathic treatment for psoriasis.
Some indicated Homeopathic remedies for psoriasis are-
- Arsenic Iodatum- It is given in case where patches of psoriasis occur with multiple colours.The scales are usually large in size.
- Sepia –It is recommended for psoriasis with foul odour from the eruptions and the affected area of the skin.
- Thyroidinum- It is one of the best homeopathic medicines for psoriasis with obesity. In such cases the itching gets worsened at night
- Sulphur- It is used in various skin complaints.
- Kali Brom- It is helpful in those cases where skin is cold, blue, spotted large, painful pustules.